Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March 1st

Well this is my first go at a blog!

I thought it would be a great way to keep a written account of my journey to find my son!  I want to start at the beginning.  I had a brother, Tim, who died in 1991 from Muscular Dystrophy.  His was a sex-link disease, which means that the male children can get the diseased X chromosome, and the female could be a carrier of the X.  I always knew that there was a 50/50 chance that I was a carrier and that I would be tested when I was married and ready to have children.  So all through high school and college, I knew that adoption could very well be a part of my future.

Jump forward to being married in 1998, tested and found out that I wasn't a carrier, and divorced in 2001 with no children from that marriage.   I have always felt blessed by God that I have never been one of those women who felt like her life was not complete if she didn't give birth to a child.    However, there was a seed planted for adoption years ago that has come up again and again, but it was never God's timing.   Throughout my 16 years of teaching, I have come to realize that there is a special place in my heart for the young black boys that I have taught.  I have always bonded with them and I have felt like it was a great experience for them know that a white, female teacher loved them unconditionally.    In fact, a former colleague of mine (a black coach), once told me that my relationship with those boys was a blessing!  One of the best complements I have ever received. (Thank you Jack Pittman!)   So, at least 6 years ago I went to my first adoption meeting just to find out what it was all about.  I read books, researched, talked to people, and PRAYED!   I wasn't ready at that point in my life.   I would go out on 1st dates, and tell the person that I wanted to adopt a little black boy one day:-).   My friend said..."and he didn't call you back"? LOL!  Yeah...a little heavy for a first date, but obviously a seed in my heart.

 I considered Ethiopia, Haiti, America and gave great thought about each and it just never felt right.   Very recently, I went through yet another heartbreak relationship and I learned so much about myself and what I really want in life!   Then at Thanksgiving, my friend Katie's husband mentioned sending me and Katie on a tropical trip for spring break.  A 40th birthday present.  So sweet!!   The ball started rolling and God has just said yes, yes, yes.   Next, we were going to Jamaica for a girls trip and going to take a small side journey to visit an orphanage.  Yes, you heard it, and orphanage!!  Wow...it is falling into place.  After researching, praying, phone calls, etc....I sent in my pre-adoption paperwork to the CDA in Jamaica.    Okay..so now here comes a God moment for sure.  I knew I had to have a home-study done and got the name of Catholic Charities from a friend.   I googled and found a random number and called someone named Julie.  Well, Julie didn't answer...Leigh did.  After a few minutes of conversation she realized who I was and it turns out she was senior at Brentwood Academy when I started teaching there. I believe that was just another confirmation!!    I am READY to share my home, my life, and my love with my son!  I know he is out there!

So, where is the process today?  Paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork.  I just about have everything collected on my part.  The home-study will be complete next week and the I600A will be sent to Immigration.  I am leaving for Jamaica on the 14th and have an appointment with the adoption officer at 10AM on the 16th.   I pray that I get more information at that time and specifically would be so happy to get his name and face!!    The process could take as long as 2 years, but I just have a feeling that it is going to move more quickly.    My daddy does too, and daddy's are never wrong...right??

4 comments:

  1. Daddy's are never wrong,I don't think Mom's are either Cindy. Congratulations on your journey! I am honored to follow you. It's going to be GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO excited for you Cindy! Sitting here in tears reading. I feel the exact same way about my students and hope to one day be able to follow in your footsteps of adoption. Praying for you and your little boy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy..you will be a fantastic mom!!! I am so excited to see what God is doing in your life!! I can just see his face already...knowing he has a mom here who is already praying for him and loving on him spiritually!! I will be praying constantly..and I would love to help in anyway I can...Rahrah is my "grandma name"!! haha!! I hope he will be here soon...love and blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete